"The journey back to joy"

       This post is going to be a bit different today... Not so much an update on William, but more an opportunity for me to share my thoughts and feelings-- and to get it 'out there'.  So, first, let me say, William is officially in the 4 lbs! Such a great little man. He's also getting bottles now.


      Tonight, as I sat holding him, and as I had to leave for the night, I had a hard time leaving. My sweet, sweet boy- and I had to leave him there. Don't get me wrong, he is where he needs to be- growing so he can be a healthy boy. But, it was a hard moment. It reminded me of when Adalyn was born and in the NICU. It was so scary, she wasn't stable for a little while, and we were so unsure as to what was going to be the outcome- we trusted in The Lord, but it didn't mean we didn't grieve and have worry.
       I know we are so blessed to have such a healthy boy, and without the many complications his sister has and will face through her life, but sometimes, it is still hard. It's hard to leave my son every night. It's hard to not know when he'll come home. It's hard to be back in the NICU, even though it is 100 times less stressful than last time. And sometimes, even through our faith and optimism, we have to cry, to shed the tears and to turn to Christ. It's part of the journey. It's part of this life experience. It's part of being mortal. And that doesn't make our faith in Him less real or less meaningful. Because, we must take the time to heal, in every trial. And sometimes, that means acknowledging the hard things, and sometimes, yes, it means crying.
       One of my favorite people, Hilary Weeks, has written a beautiful song called, "Just let me cry". When talking about this song, she said, "Crying is part of healing. It is a necessary step in the process. It doesn’t mean we don’t have hope or faith. It doesn’t mean that we don’t believe in the Atonement or the Savior’s ability to heal us. It is simply part of the journey back to joy." I love that. Ad so, tonight, after I left my sweet boy in the NICU, doing so awesome, I cried, because sometimes, it is hard and I need to acknowledge that and I need to acknowledge that I need Christ in my life. But the beautiful thing is- He always comes. His spirit heals and lifts and strengthens us and helps us to be equal to the tasks. And that, is truly the purpose.


Just let me cry
Hilary Weeks




I believe that everything happens for a reason
We’re not just tossed by the wind and left in the hands of fate
But sometimes life sends a storm that’s unexpected
And we’re forced to face our deepest pain.

And when I feel the heartache begin to pull me under
I dig my heels in deep and I fight to keep my ground
Still at times the hurt inside grows stronger
And there’s nothing I can do but let it out

So just let me cry
I know it’s hard to see
But the pain I feel isn’t going away today
So just let me cry
‘Til every tear has fallen
Don’t ask when and don’t ask why
Just let me cry

When I agreed that God could put this heart inside me
I understood that there would be a chance that it would break
But I know he knows exactly how I’m feeling
And I know in time he’ll take the pain away

But for now just let me cry
I know it’s hard to see
But the pain I feel isn’t going away today
So just let me cry
‘Til every tear has fallen
Don’t ask when and don’t ask why
Just let me cry

I have felt joy, the kind that makes my heart want to sing
And so my tears are not a surrender, I’ll feel that way again
But for now, for this moment

Just let me cry
I know it’s hard to see
But the pain I feel isn’t going away today
Just let me cry
Until every tear has fallen
Don’t ask when and don’t ask why
Just let me cry

I believe that everything happens for a reason







Comments

Seeing little William yesterday was the highlight of my week!! He is so cute and I can't wait to watch him grow! You are amazing Nicole and your faith strengthens me. I can't imagine how hard it must be to leave him in the nicu every night. Crying really does help you feel better sometimes! Love you!!!
Alyse said…
You are so great! I love your faith and optimism, but also your ability to write about these real, raw emotions we all experience. And yes, sometimes we do just have to cry! Love you!
You are such a wonderful example Nicole! Your sweet family are in our prayers!
Molly said…
This is beautiful..as are you. Thank you for being so wonderful. I love you and your family. And thanks for the reminders.
Camaree said…
Tears are a gift to women to use at will. Love your thoughts and your family.

Popular posts from this blog

She's here!

Delivery Day