In the Lord's Hands

I am constantly amazed at how the Lord is ALWAYS in control. We may think we are in control, but we aren't. He is. And as hard as that may SEEM sometimes, it is a blessing because He knows so much better.

So, a little back story- for those of you who may not know- Our sweet Adalyn suffered a brain injury in the womb due to a placenta issue. We don't know exactly what happened because the pathology report wasn't able to give us fully conclusive answers, but we know that around 35 weeks it started to die and by the time she was born at 36 weeks and 6 days, only 30% was viable- which caused a stroke like brain insult to her before she was born and has had her subsequent problems.

We knew going into this second pregnancy that there was the possibility that something could happen again- so with the advice of my OB, we started having bi-weekly ultrasounds around week 23 and then weekly starting in my third trimester at 28 weeks. During my ultrasound yesterday, baby boy's heart rate dropped to below where is usually ok and gradually, slower than they'd like, came back up. Because of that, they sent me up to Labor and Delivery to have a non-stress test and be monitored for his heart rate and such. Also- he hadn't grown as much in the last week as would be optimal, so after a night of being monitored in little Kirksville, it was decided that I should move to the Women & Children's Hospital in Columbia, MO about 1 1/2 hours south of Kirksville- where they have a great NICU and specialists to help make decisions about when baby boy needs to come. I'm 32 weeks now, so it would be best for him to stay inside for a bit.

What they have seen is- a great heart rate and he's been active and healthy. However, the blood flow from the placenta to our boy is not optimal, not bad yet, but not optimal, so we are going to be watching that super close. I've had one round of steroids to help his lungs plump up and will have another round tomorrow. I'm being monitored over night again and then, as long as nothing crazy happens with his heart rate, tomorrow I'll be moved to another floor where they will monitor me every few hours instead.

Talon's mom and sister are flying in tomorrow and then my mom will come when they have to leave. Annnd- we have a wonderful ward family in Kirksville who have already stepped in so much. They will all mainly be with Adalyn (and she can be with me during the days and such) and then Talon can be with me. Luckily, he's gearing up for his thesis defense and can write here in Columbia.

We don't know any FOR SURES about when our boy will come, but he will probably still be quite early. He'll need to spend some time growing in the NICU here for bit, but there is a Ronald McDonald House where Talon and I can stay.

We're just waiting and watching now. Looks like my dreams for a VBAC (vaginal birth after cesarean) are done, but that's ok- I'd rather him be HEALTHY. We appreciate any and all prayers on his behalf. We're feeling really at peace right now- through the entire pregnancy I've had quite a few blessings and we have been told time and time again that things are in the Lord's Hands and everything will work out. So for now, we're having faith that there is a purpose in this and He will make it all work the way it needs to.

Thanks again for your love and concern!

Comments

Halsey said…
You guys are so tough! I'm sure the Lord is watching over you. Best wishes in this second delivery!
Susan said…
I love your attitude, friend. You are an inspiration to me. Good luck and I will be checking on you, don't you worry!! Love you!!!
Bridget said…
You guys are amazing! We love you and your adorable family and wish you all the best. Our prayers are definitely with you and our little Anderson couldn't have better namesakes! Thanks for the update!
Good luck with everything! You guys are in our thoughts and prayers! we love you :)
Nicole I love you and I am praying for you!
Alyse said…
You're amazing! I'm glad you posted about your journey because some of us would not have known and I want to at least add my prayers for a safe and healthy baby boy Anderson!! Love you guys and hope you know that! Can't wait to see this little guy!
You and baby boy are in our prayers. Love you!
Unknown said…
You guys are so amazing. Every time I give Mark an update, he just nods his head and says, "Good people." And I just nod my head and agree, as that is probably the highest compliment he gives anyone :)I love your examples of faith. Our prayers are with you and both of your little ones!
Jenni said…
We will keep you and your sweet family in our prayers.
firecracker said…
I know it's in the Lord's hands, but I'll be praying for ya anyway!!
lchaston said…
Glad to hear you're in such good hands. My dad lives in Columbia, and there are several wards there in town. If you need ANYTHING, just let me know, and I can hook you up straight away! We are praying for your sweet family, and so glad that Talon's mom and your mom will be there soon. Love you!
Brooke Watson said…
I will be praying for you, Nicole, and your sweet baby boy!

Popular posts from this blog

She's here!

Delivery Day