Good Books... let's get reading

Ok, Ok, this is not my normal Blog post- but I'm on a roll... soooooo...

I've been doing lots of reading lately and I just wanted to share some books I think are pretty great!

Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy: Long, but fantastically written. He is able to write a story, which is entertaining, while not entirely easy to get through, but it has so many different layers of meaning and themes that are hidden away within the books pages. I LOVED IT!

Dracula by Bram Stoker: I'll admit, I'm NOT a huge vampire fan- didn't love Twilight and I really don't like scary movies- BUT... I REALLY enjoyed reading this book. It is super accessible in the diary/journal format and I think that it helps the book to move, although being a classic and having more of the classic literature feel. I think, more than a book about vampires and how to kill them, it was a book about friendship, good vs. evil and Christianity- that good will always overcome evil and that there will ALWAYS be a counterfeit to the good. Another great read.

Peter Pan by J. M. Barrie: I really like the style of the book and the fact that, reading it as an adult, it brings in themes and issues that each person deals with to some extent or another- and growing up and how that changes us. I really like it in comparison to the Disney movie (which is great, by the way). Another great read.

I also read the first two books of a couple of trilogies- the first based on distopian type of communities (akin to the Hunger Games). The first book is entitled Matched and the second is Crossed. Don't worry, our main character is, of course, gifted and in a class above the rest- and as such is put into situations where she questions society and all that jazz. And of course, she has two different love interests. Oh dear, young adult lit. :D

The other was about an extremely bright 15 year old who witnessed a terrorist murder and becomes part of the witness protection program and learns some pretty sweet skills. Who knows if she ends up with one or the other of her love interests in the end (yep, again... 2 guys must sell literature these days).  The first is called Watched and the second called Protected. 

The stories in each are engaging and an easy read- but the writing leaves a little something to be desired. Makes me think I could have had a nice paycheck if they would have hired me as their editor. :D


So... what have you been reading lately?

Comments

Janalee said…
I didn't LOVE matched. It was just fluff for me. HUNGER GAMES is so much better. I don't hardly notice the romance in it. The matched series seem to be ALL ABOUT the stupid love young adult triangle. Ugh.

I have heard good things about Dracula. Maybe next Halloween!
Camaree said…
Your last comment about the book needing an editor made me laugh because that is how I felt about Twilight. I kept thinking, "I should be getting paid for this".

Popular posts from this blog

She's here!

Delivery Day