Being happy in the NOW

I feel like a common thread in Medical School and life and CONFERENCE has been encapsulated in the theme: JOY IN THE JOURNEY.

My mom has always been a great example of this idea to me. In fact, there were many times growing up that she helped teach me about having joy in the NOW and not waiting to see what would come in the future. 

I think it was largely due to that teaching that I wasn't too stressed when I was a little bit past the "utah culture age" and graduated from college and unmarried. I think it was also a huge help when I was teaching, working on my masters, trying to get pregnant with Adalyn, and now, trying to support Talon through his masters, med school and onward. 

It can be so easy to look to the future and think... "I'll be happy when..." or "life will be so much easier when..." and even, "If only we could just skip ahead...". 

I'm not saying I'm perfect at this-- because I am far from it, but I think I'm doing ok. I think we all get caught up in hoping for the future. But it is when we can focus on the great things that are happening NOW that we find true peace and happiness and I believe, a sense of purpose. 

I think Adalyn has taught me this lesson even more. I can't just look to the future and think, "when Adalyn is walking/talking/in school/grown up/on her own..." . Of course, that doesn't mean those wonderful milestones won't happen for her, they might. But if there is anything that I learn from her- it is to take the NOW and cherish it. To be grateful for the people in our lives and families now. 

As master Oogway says in "Kung Fu Panda", "You are too concerned about what was and what will be. There is a saying: yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift. That is why it is called the 'present'." 

So, on that note, here are some of the FUN things we have been doing NOW:
This is Adalyn's new thing. She can't just drink her milk- she has to spread out all over  Tal or my lap.

Ward Hayride

Practicing standing on the couch and looking out the window

trying out the chairs at the Temple Arrival Center
We have been playing outside, going on walks, getting together with Friends, watching movies, drinking cider & hot cocoa, enjoying music, reading great books, continuing to make great friends, buying pumpkins at the Farmer's Market, meeting a pig & bacon strip walking around at Kirksville's Bacon Fest (can't believe I missed this as a post-- it is AWESOME)- and getting free BLTs at said Fest, and just having a great time. We LOVE fall and we are LOVING the 2nd year of Talon's masters. It is pretty flexible so we get to hang out A LOT and we recognize that we are really lucky. 

So... what are you doing NOW?

Comments

Carly said…
Beautiful. Wonderful. I am queen of looking ahead and missing the now. Thanks for this. =) And she looks so cute practicing looking out the window!
Stephanie Hyde said…
I have been thinking a lot about this too! Thank you for the reminder :) I look up to you and Talon.

Janalee said…
Its so easy to look forward when things are rough, this was a great post and reminder to enjoy LIFE NOW.

Glad you guys are doing so well!
Dana said…
Loved your thoughts and the fun glimpses into your life right NOW.

Popular posts from this blog

She's here!

Delivery Day