Wickedly Fast Half in the Land of OZ

I did it. 
With good friends, a great training schedule, and some perseverance...
I ran my first half marathon.

It was a really fun race- located in Olathe, Kansas and put on by Garmin.
Because it's in Kansas, it was Wizard of OZ themed. 

It was:
-fun
-hard
-fulfilling
-emotional

And why was it emotional? 
Two of my friends gave me a great idea. 
One because she used the method while running her marathon-
the other while we were on a long run and I had a major mental block.
Run a mile for someone. 

So... who to run for... how many miles to run for someone?
I really wasn't sure of anything but the last 4 miles until during the race. 
I knew, that Talon got mile 10,
Adalyn got miles 11 & 12 (she needed more than 1, I needed more than 1 for her)
And you ALWAYS run the last mile for yourself. 

But as I was running, I felt the urge. I knew it was no good. 
I needed a restroom. 
So, I ran ahead of the girls with whom I had trained and decided to run the race with-
got in the potty line... and waited...
and waited...
and waited.

Once it was my turn- I couldn't go. (HUGE BUMMER!)
So I got out and picked up my pace so I could catch the ladies who were by this time 5 minutes ahead of me (big deal in a pace type run).
So, I ran my next two alone and at a pace I hadn't really trained for. 
And that's when I decided. 
I needed some other people to run for-- 

So, as I began mile 5 I mentally dedicated it to my brother Chase and his wife Yeon Mi. 

My family will understand why this mile was quite emotional for me. 
I had tears in my eyes and let the emotion just flow out in my adrenaline.
I felt the push I needed as I ran for those I loved and for those who needed my love and support. 

Even though I caught up to the girls before mile 6, I decided I had begun, I'd better not stop... so, 
Mile 6 was for my two youngest siblings (the teenagers)- Melanie and Dustin. 

They are both in incredibly wonderful and difficult times in their lives.
Melanie is a Freshman in college making all sorts of important decisions and setting the tone for her future life and pursuits.
Dustin is a Senior in high school and is faced with HUGE decisions that will ultimately determine his future as well.

So... it shouldn't surprise ANYONE that ... I cried yet again. (Look, I'm just a tad emotional, k?)

Mile 7 was for my sister Chelsea- 

over the last year she has raised over $1,000 dollars to donate to the guest house where I lived for the long weeks Adalyn was in the NICU. And so, yet again... I cried. I feel so lucky that as we have grown up, married, and started our families, we have become the closest of friends. It felt good to run my hump mile for her. 

Mile 8 was for my papa. 

He's the reason my knee was good enough to make this run happen. (but, it's also his genetics that probably give me the bad knees to begin with... :D). 
Thanks to our friend Joe Shurtz for taping my knee!

My dad and I have always had a neat relationship. He made sure, even when he was busy when I was young, to make time for me, to teach me, and to show that he was there. 

Mile 9 was for my mom. 

Now, all of these people are super important- none more than the other, but I knew I'd need more motivation the closer I got to the finish- so my mom got mile 9. She has done SOOO much for me--- ALWAYS. There are countless posts I could write about her (look for those in May- there's a special day for that). But, she was there for me when I was really having a hard time when Adalyn was first born. Next to Talon and the Lord, she carried me and my sorrows the most. She also was my example in running a half- She did it first- she pretty much rocks! 

I already told you who mile 10 was for- Talon is the BEST guy EVER! I feel sooo lucky to have him forever!

And of course, Adalyn. 

My dear, sweet, Adalyn. I hit a mental block right between mile 11 & 12 and my friend knew I was running those miles for Addie, and she said, "come on Nicole, do it for Adalyn"... and I suddenly knew I could. She is such a precious spirit. So strong and so wonderful. 

And at the end, I ran for me... and it hurt, but it was so good. Having pushed so much earlier in the race, I wasn't sure I had any juice left in the tank. Like I said, I hadn't trained for that potty break (no one ever does)... but with the help of friends and some awesome pacers, I DID it! And I did it by my goal time! I ran in with the 2:10 pacers. :D They were awesome... "come on girl, you can do it!"

So, it was really awesome. I lost my voice cheering for the others- especially the Full Marathon folks. 

Inspiring. 
Who wants to run another one with me?


Comments

Hannah Joy said…
Congrats, Nicole!! What a giant accomplishment. I remember having to come with ways to push myself emotionally during cross country in high school. I also remember getting quite emotional during one of our time trials. The tears/prayers kept pouring out! It's rough stuff, so I admire you for this!! (My sister wants me to train for a halfy with her and I'm super nervous). Hope all is well with your cute little family!!
Janalee said…
Seriously, you just impressed me beyond words. I Absolutely admire you. What an incredible experience, and huge accomplishment!
Kirsten said…
I LOVED this post, Nicole! It gave me so many memories from my first half...wish I would have had that "run a mile for someone" advice!

You are an inspiration to me in SO many ways! I really need to get back on the running bandwagon! You simply amaze me in all you do! Congrats on this great accomplishment!
Whitney Baldwin said…
Way to go Nicole! That is a huge accomplishment and I love that run a mile for someone idea.

I am glad you had such a great experience and were able to accomplish your goal! You are amazing!
Mindy said…
One day, I shall run a half marathon I actually train for! P.s. I fear having to go to the bathroom. I go like 17 times before the race starts so I won't have to pee during it. Haha! :) Good job, woman! You did awesome!
Megh said…
Nicole, CONGRATULATIONS! What a huge accomplishment! I loved reading about the people who mean the most to you, and how they all helped you finish the race! Maybe I can be ready for next year's and we can run together in KC.
DeeAura said…
Oh my goodness, this is my favorite running idea ever. And way to go on your time!! Such a good job! Also, I love you and miss you. :)

Popular posts from this blog

She's here!

Delivery Day