On the Eighth Day of Christmas...
Whoo... I know, I know- I'm a terrible blogger. I blame The Hunger Games Series. Finally sat down to read those. (LOVED THEM... if you were wondering).
Ok... so, This day is devoted to: The Anderson Family Letters
I know my family and Talon's family will get this immediately!
My family has funny inside jokes about gifts, and a lot of very meaningful gifts, but it wasn't until I met Talon and married into his family that letters became an integral part of our Christmases together.
Talon's family's gift are extremely thoughtful, very spiritual, and usually accompanied by a letter expressing one's love, testimony and gratitude for the Savior. It is a neat tradition I have married into.
But... it's a little funny too, because when we are with my family at Christmas, the first two or three letters are tolerated while we read (and I usually cry)... but then, after that my family gets down to business- Open the presents now so we can move ahead-- then read the letter later.
I think some of my favorites are:
The year about the temple. All of the gifts we were given centered around the temple-- how the temple had lead and guided my in-laws on their whirlwind of a year (I promise it was CRAZY) and how the temple had brought peace through the storms. And the letter was so touching. Full of testimony and love as we sat on Talon's grandmas' rug. Not because we had all joined there, but because that was where his family was living. It made it all the more touching.
Talon, of course, always tries to get me something really special. Our first Christmas together he took the poem he had written about the story of how we met, dated, and eventually married and put it into a book. I'll cherish that book FOREVER.
And last year, Talon's dad gave him a really sweet old rifle (don't even ask me what kind-- I don't know about guns) and a grouping of pictures that went back from Talon to his great-great-great grandpa, with the story of how the gun had been in the family for these generations. It meant so much to Talon and I know it will be a family heirloom.
So... on the 8th day, we got letters. :D
Ett Gott Nytt Ar


Comments