No Surgery


Do you remember when you were little and you would skin your knee or elbow? And then, because you were curious and really tired of that big scab, you'd pick at the scab... and sometimes make the owey bleed again? Sometimes that's how Adalyn's situation has been for me. We are starting to heal- to understand- to appreciate- to find peace and faith... and then, part of the scab falls off and we bleed, just a little.

Don't get me wrong- we're doing REALLY GREAT! And she is still such a little champion! We went to the neurosurgeon on Wednesday and he doesn't think Adalyn' head growth is a skull problem- just a brain not growing at the rate it should problem- which isn't anything new. We knew from the time she was born she had suffered a serious brain injury. In the NICU she had EEGs, Head Ultrasounds, and an MRI all saying her brain was seriously injured. And yet, she has been able to function at a fairly high level for someone with her brain activity. She keeps growing (albeit her head is growing slowly), learning, and developing more and more- and that is what we have to stay focused on.

But no one ever wants to hear that their sweet baby has problems- even if it isn't new. So, that is why, for me, the wound is slightly fresh- But my faith and hope sustain me. She sustains me- she is so wonderful. Even on the drive home from St. Louis she was learning and doing new things she hadn't ever done before. Just another reminder that, the Lord is truly in control. Adalyn will continue to be our little miracle as she does what medicine and science don't think is possible! Love you Adalyn!

Comments

Shirlene said…
Eloquently expressed, my sweet Nicole. Love from Mom and Grandma.
Tori said…
YOu amaze me with your strength! I loved this quote from Uchtdorf- "Sisters, wherever you are, whatever the circumstances may be, you are not forgotten. No matter how dark your days may seem, no matter how insignificant you may feel, no matter how overshadowed you think you may be, your Heavenly Father has not forgotten you. In fact, He loves you, with an infinite love." It reminded me of what you wrote! :)
Mindy said…
The only thing about that nasty scab business is that as a kid you picked it off. I am sure it would hurt one million times worse if someone else picked it off - which is kinda happening now as you continue to get more of an understanding of everything. Adalyn *is* a champ, but one thing you forgot to mention is that so is her mama. :) She is SO lucky to have YOU to be her mama! Keep on, keeping on. :)
You are such a wonderful, sweet Mom. You are in my prayers!
Cali said…
Thanks for posting all these updates Nicole. I wonder about sweet Adalyn and you guys a lot, and am glad to hear updates about how you're doing. I also saw you in a picture on Natalie's blog--so I guess you're hanging out a little?? Awesome. I love you both. We'll continue to have you guys in our prayers.
Chelsea said…
Oh sister I love you so much! And I love that adorable Adalyn so much too! I wish I was there with you both to squeeze you many times during the day!
Dana said…
Sure love you and that sweet baby. She is so lucky to have you and Talon!!
Whitney Baldwin said…
This was so beautifully written. Again, thank you for sharing your faith and your strength. Even though healing hurts, I pray for continued strength to you, Talon, and your awesome champ Adalyn!
Chelle said…
I need a "like" button for this...
Ashley Wood said…
I love you Nicole and my prayers are with you, Talon and Adalyn. What a good example you are of faith!

Popular posts from this blog

She's here!

Delivery Day