SLEEP HELP

Hello fellow bloggers and mothers. I need your advice on how you got your kids to go to bed at a decent hour and take good naps. Adalyn's bedtime, even with a routine has been hit and miss. and her naps... so, so. Advice PLEASE!

Comments

Camaree said…
She's still pretty little. It might just take more time. Hanna Marie started sleeping through the night at 3 months but didn't start a real good routine until about 6 months. When she was ready she came up with her own schedule. I just always put her down for bed and naps when I could tell she was tired and she found her own pattern. One day she just decided 8 was her bedtime and at 17 months that is the schedule she is still on. Hanna did/does always sleep better if she has a full tummy and if we don't wait until she is overly tired. Comfort objects also help. If your baby doesn't use a binki try giving her the same stuffed animal or blanket every night. Even if she does have a binki I recommend a comfort stuffed animal too because then when the day comes for you to take the binki away she will already have a transition object.

But really ever kid is different. You'll figure it out. Good luck.
{haley} said…
Babywise! The trick is getting them on a set schedule that goes feed time, awake time, then nap time. Hang in there! She'll figure out her own schedule. Colbie started out only taking 45minutes naps but as she got older and dropped a couple naps she started sleeping much longer.
Susan said…
I agre with haley--babywise (book: on becoming babywise) really worked for us with Luke, although we just used it as a guideline and din't follow it to the tee. I think the key is helping them to learn to put themselves to sleep, and keeping the feeding, waketime, naptime (in that order) consistent. Good luck!
Damaris said…
My kids have all had erratic sleeping schedules until they were about six months old. The one thing that helped with Jenny was not letting her nap after about 5:30. When she was really determined she would fall asleep anyway and I'd do whatever I needed to so that she'd wake up within 10 minutes. It meant a grouchy evening but it was worth it when she went to bed at 8 or 9 instead of midnight. It sounds so obvious, but I had to have someone point it out to me. At 11 months old she still wakes up once in the middle of the night, so I may not be the best to talk to, but it helped me a bit. Good Luck!!!!!!
Avree said…
My big advice is don't rock your babies to sleep. With Spencer I would just wrap him up in his blanket and lay him in his crib. It was sooo nice when he was older to just lay him in his crib and walk out. Good luck!
I have a different way of doing things......from the moment my babies are born I get them on my schedule the best I can. I'm all about routine....when she wakes up for the last time in the morning, make sure she gets some active playtime to tire her out, feed, then nap, then do it all over again :)pretty soon she'll expect that routine and become accustomed to napping the same time every day, until, of course, she goes to one nap a day :) and we always made sure our babies didn't nap past 4, that way they went to bed by 8 and we could have our husband/wife time! Good luck!!!
Bridget said…
Oh man, we have had about every sleep issue around here, but luckily it's gotten easier with each one (or I've gotten meaner - probably a little of both). Rachel had about every problem in the book and looking back I think that she had problems with milk like Josie did, but the book I read for her was the Baby Whisperer. She had a lot of great tips about gently working on getting a routine and getting them to fall asleep by themselves. That said, for each baby we've had to eventually just stick to a nightime routine/time and start to let them cry themselves to sleep. We started this way too late with Rachel (she was already standing up and so it was absolutely miserable), but it has been easier when we've done this around 4-6 months. I have to admit that I usually whimp out and go in and soothe them a little, but I've heard that if you tough it out it works quicker. Good luck - she will get it and someday I keep reminding myself I'll be trying to wake kids up instead of the other way around!

Popular posts from this blog

She's here!

Delivery Day