Remember

As part of my faith I often am reminded to Remember. To remember what? 
To remember all that the Savior did for each one of us. 
To remember those Tender Mercies that He has given us.
To remember the Divine Signatures He has left for us in our lives. 
To remember the covenants and promises we have made with Him.
To Remember...

Lately, I have been remembering some of the amazing miracles that surrounded our sweet Adalyn's birth. Many of you have heard these stories and know how much we felt the hand of the Lord in our lives and on her behalf, but -- I need to share it again. Also, feel free to visit my mom's blog post mentioning Divine Signatures and some of the amazing "coincidences" that surrounded her birth. 

Our sweet little Adalyn did not come into this world well. 
Emergency C-section, resuscitation, and Apgar scores of 1s and 2s-
And yet...

As I went into emergency surgery, as the doctors and nurses were doing about 1,000 things, in the moment when I should have felt great fear and panic, I felt peace. 
Why? 
Because the power of the priesthood and the Savior's Atonement ARE REAL.

   The evening before our 37 week appointment I was feeling very uneasy. Something just wasn't right. So, I asked Talon for a blessing. In the blessing I was told that our little girl had great desires to come into this world. To be a part of our family. I was also told that everything would be alright and that the Lord knew us and knew what we needed. 

Now, looking back, I can't imagine how I would have felt without that blessing.

Our first meeting


Even when Talon came into my recovery room to tell me how things weren't looking so good, I still knew, somehow, she was going to be ok. We named her and then went up so she could receive a blessing. My father and Talon gave her a very powerful blessing and then she was whisked away to the Ogden NICU- via life-flight. 
the "cooling cap" - awesome technology!



Talon changing her diaper!

My wonderful stake president stopped by my room that evening--late. Probably close to 10pm. He sat on the edge of my bed and we talked about how hard things happen to good people. He couldn't hide how worried he was for our little girl. They all were. Her survival was not very likely with the injuries she had sustained... and even then, she would have many, many problems. And yet... I felt peace.
First family photo


First close up
First time I got to hold her (about 1 1/2 weeks old)

First time to wear CLOTHES!

First bath


Finally eating from a bottle

Going Home!


Over the next few weeks I had many an opportunity to cry. I cried for fear, peace, blessings, generosity, gratitude, love, and so much more. After numerous tests and some amazing and some very scary results, we still held to our faith and hope. The outpouring of love we felt from friends, family, and most of all our Savior was truly a lifesaver. Our strength and faith were fortified and we were able to get through the experience because of those prayers and fasts.


hearing aides!

Now, 4 1/2 months later, there is still a vast world of unknowns concerning our sweet little girl. Will she regain some of her hearing? Maybe... maybe not. Will she learn to crawl and walk (well, that I know she will... we will get her there even if it takes her till she's 5 years old)? Will she be able to talk? Will she be mainstreamed at school? Will she? will she?... Of course she will. I haven't lost that peace. Our little girl has been promised some BIG things... and I know that, in due time and with A LOT of work and patience, she will get there. The road won't be easy for her or for us, but it wasn't meant to be. She has already overcome SO Many obstacles that the doctors weren't sure she would. Eating, regulating breathing, pooping and peeing, not to mention she is our talking and rolling queen!
Look how far she's come!

Our family in Nauvoo, Illinois

I love the book by Sheri Dew entitled, If Life were Easy, it wouldn't be Hard. Indeed- our Father in Heaven wants a powerful, devoted, faithful, and humble people... and so, we decide that with His help we can endure all things. Through the enabling power of the atonement of Christ, we can overcome all the trials this life has to offer us... am I fully over this one... not in the slightest. Have I learned all there is to learn about trials and the atonement... no sir. But have I seen amazing miracles wrought through His power? Absolutely. 

And for that today... I will be grateful and Remember.

Comments

Belinda said…
Thank you for a beautiful post that I really need today. Love ya!
What a beautiful post. Thanks for sharing. Love you guys!!!
Erica said…
This made me cry! It was beautiful. Every day I look at Hudson and think of how grateful I am that things worked out as well as they did for us. When people say anything to me negatively about having a c-section, I just know that it could've been a lot bigger obstacle. How great that you can have such a positive outlook...with such a darling baby to look at everyday how couldn't you!
Susan said…
What a wonderful post--I needed it! Thanks, friend. (: Love you!
Whitney Baldwin said…
Thank you for this wonderful reminder--so beautiful written.
Janalee said…
Your AMAZING!!!! The whole time I was reading this post I kept having this reoccuring thought that " we are all given different trials, and he knows us, and knows that we can handle it."

He knows you and knows that you would be able to do this, and to endure it with JOY. YOur an amazing MOTHER!!! I admire you greatly.
Jessica said…
Nicole your little girl is so cute and I love her name! This was such a sweet post! Thanks for sharing.
Bridget said…
I loved that post, thank you! You three are so sweet and I know that more great things are in store for each of you!
Alyse said…
You are truly wonderful, dear! So sad I missed you before you left! Thanks for being so great!
jeremyandstacey said…
Your story reminds us so much of ours. Glad everyone is doing ok.
Tori said…
Oh wow, thanks for that post it brought tears to my eyes... you are so beautiful inside and out your little girl is so lucky to have such strong and faithful parents! Thanks for the reminder, I think we all can use it in any circumstance! :) Love ya nicolicoli!
Sarah and Alex said…
That was so nice to read! I am so glad she is doing well after a rough start. I can't wait to see how she grows in the next year! :)

Popular posts from this blog

She's here!

Delivery Day