An ode to Valentine's Day

Many of you might know the song "The Sounds of Silence" by Simon and Garfunkel. This morning (at 3:30-5:30am) the words of this song took on a new meaning for me. 

You see, as an English Teacher I tried to make poetry writing and reading more accessible to my students by using a tool called, 'text-tapping'. They would take the words of a poem, and just change a few to make it their own. Then we'd have readings with cocoa and snaps, it was great and the students felt less afraid to share their work. Well, as the song went through my head last night, I remembered a version from my seminary days. It went something like this:

"Hello Laban, my old friend. 
I've come to get the plates again.
Remember me, my name is Nephi.
You tried to kill me, you're a mean guy...
And it's the sound of slicing". 

Obviously this has stuck with me... so much that I began the text-tapping process for myself last night:

"Hello heartburn, my old friend
I've come to feel your strength again
Because a burning softly creeping
Left its seeds while I was sleeping
And the burning that was planted in my chest
Keeps me from rest
Within the feeling of burning

I tried to sit as I waked alone
Narrow breaths and then some tums
'Neath the halo of a reading light
I turned my stomach to the left and right
When my throat was stabbed by the flash of a acid burst
That really hurt
And touched the feeling of burning".

I find it much more enjoyable to listen to the original and insert the words. Yes, I know the rhyme is off, but it was late/early... 

Enjoy. I'm hoping this "old friend" heartburn will exit stage left come the beginning of April.

Comments

Dana said…
I feel your pain! I had heartburn and insomnia with Lexi. In fact, I got so much done the last couple of months before she was born once I stopped trying to sleep and just took advantage of the late night hours that I don't usually see :)

Can't wait to see that cute baby make her entrance.

PS--Megan has decided to play cello in 6th grade and was thrilled when we told her you played the cello ;)
Susan said…
I love it! Not that you are having heartburn, but that you so cleverly put it into a song. (: Hang in there!
Unknown said…
At least your heartburn is inspiring to you in some way! Love your songs.
Chelsea said…
I agree with Susan. Very clever. I like it. You would do well in music therapy. Your "text-tapping" would be considered a songwriting intervention.
Staci said…
loved that song. even though i'm not preggo, i get heartburn sometimes. it sucks. i can empathize. hang in there! and congrats! apparently, the baby at the end is worth the pain/ sickness for 9 months. or so i hear...
Shirlene said…
More than just gastric juices flowing I see.
Tara Beckert said…
I'm sorry you have heart burn colie, but I greatly enjoyed your song:)

Popular posts from this blog

She's here!

Delivery Day