"You should get some.... from Haiti!"


I teach the CTR 4 class in our ward and I LOVE it! I have 8 kids in my class and I teach them by myself because Talon is in the Sunday School with the high school students (where sometimes I think I'd fit in a little better). Sometimes these kids are a little bit of a handful for just me, but most of the time, they are great! I love to teach, and I love to teach kids of all ages. I was blessed when we lived in Aggie Village to work with the primary kids while I taught high school. I think the balance kept me young (not even insinuating that I'm old, just older than I was in high school).

Well, today I got lucky. Talon didn't have to teach today so he came with me to primary. He now knows how hard it can be to keep 8 wiggly, head-strong, 4 year olds reverent during opening exercises, sharing time, and singing time. It was actually a really good day today (which may have been because the primary president takes it upon herself to 'hang out' with one of my tougher students... I have 8, I'm not wonder woman). Our lesson was on families and since I knew Talon would be joining us, we brought pictures of our families to share. The kids LOVED it. We explained that we were married and that's why each of us were in the other's picture... and then one kid said, "you can't be married, you don't have any kids, and married people have kids!" I said, "Oh, do they? I guess we'd better get some!" and then another well-informed 4 year stated, "You should get some. There are kids in another city that don't have families, you should go there and get some... from Haiti!"



It melted and broke my heart all at the same time. Here we were talking about families and the blessings of families and there are possibly thousands of little 4 year olds who's lives will never be the same and many who have lost their families... and here was a little 4 year old boy who wanted us to take care of them and give them the gift of FAMILY. What a wonderful thing.

The Lord sent us to families on purpose. We are meant to learn and grow and love as families. We are meant to help teach one another and guide one another back to Him. I am so grateful that I had a family that taught me and loved me and took care of me, even when I was a 4 year old like those I teach. I'm grateful that today, when I thought I was teaching them something wonderful, about their families and how important they were, they taught me that we truly need to take care of our Heavenly Father's family. Wish I could just jump on a plane right now and hug all those little kids....

Comments

Bridget said…
That is so sweet! I bet that you are an amazing teacher and that is a LOT of 4-year-olds for one person. Good luck!
hey, we taught that same lesson today to our 10 four year olds!! they are quite entertaining and wiggly -- kinda hard when we have madi to watch too:) good to know someone is in our same boat as well!!
Mindy said…
I was watching the news the other night when a lot of the adopted kids from Haiti were coming to their families in Utah. One of my first thoughts when seeing them was, "I want one." I guess I have other kinks to work out in my life before I get to adopt a cute Haitian child. :) P.s. Thanks again for the other night. Tell Tal thanks too!
Unknown said…
So cute! Thanks for sharing. :)
Shae and Jake said…
That is so cute! I completely agree with that 4 year old boy about married people having kids! You should get some or hey just have one! I need a niece or nephew in my life! Love ya mucho!
That is really cute. I love Primary and I also love how those little kids just say whatever comes to mind. :)

Popular posts from this blog

She's here!

Delivery Day