Life as a grad student
I always loved being a student. I enjoyed all of the classes, the reading, the writing even, and the social atmosphere. I especially loved that I put myself through school through a combination of scholarships and working (and a couple of parental loans). College was excellent! Life after college was even more excellent, but different. I had a job, one that didn't pay much, but paid more than I had ever seen all together on one paycheck, a new husband, and the ability to purchase pretty much whatever I wanted. Granted, lucky for me I didn't want a house, a boat, a trip to Italy, or a new expensive car, just books, clothes, and food, but still... all I wanted. It was a fun time. But, money has never really been all that to me. I thought it was just nice... a means to an end.
So, while throwing much of that money into savings, I decided to return to the familiarity of student life. Again, I was certain and fixed on being able to do it all myself, which brings us to this moment. I have a very tight budget, stickies on my wall of bills to pay, envelopes of where the money (which is quite a bit smaller than before) can go. We were excited to have $17 to buy groceries, dinner at Panda Express (a BIG deal), and 2 $1 ice creams from McDonald's-- We are living the dream. It may be hard sometimes, but really, I am so grateful for the opportunity we have to both be in school and be spending so much money on one thing that we have little for anything else. It's been a lesson in money management, and although the learning curve is steep, I think I'll look back to this time and be so grateful for when we were truly 'Poor students'.
One thing I did have wrong though. I thought I could do grad school alone. In that aspect I was completely mistaken. If it wasn't for the constant support of Tal and my family, I'd be a goner, but especially, the constant support of a loving Heavenly Father who knows me, knows that I am supposed to be doing this right now, and wants me to succeed, to learn, to grow, and to be happy. I have gone to Him many times since the beginning of last fall, and I suspect this semester won't be any different, but I am grateful for the opportunities that He has given me. He has done it all and for that I am truly grateful. Life as a grad student is fun, challenging, and sometimes hard enough that I wonder why I chose it, but it is where the Lord wants me right now, and for that, I love this life. Life as a grad student is definitely for me.
Comments