My favorite time of year
Conference Weekend... It is my favorite time of year, but especially the October Conference.
For those who may not be familiar with conference weekend, it is a weekend every April and October where the Prophet, Apostles, and General Authorities and Auxiliary Leaders of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints speak to the members of the church for two days. It is held in Salt Lake City in the Conference Center and then broadcast out via television, radio, and satellite. For me, it is a spiritual feast for 2 days. An opportunity to check myself and see how I'm doing in my spiritual progression. It is ALWAYS an opportunity for me to be humbled and understand that there is still much for me to learn and do. And in October, we're surrounded by the BEAUTIFUL leaves and just cold enough weather.
This Conference weekend had MANY interesting adventures for Talon & I:

Mile 1- 125.38 miles: A 5 hour road trip to Provo. You may ask, what? I thought you lived in Logan? We do. How long is it supposed to take to drive to Provo from Logan? 2 hours. But, with combination of the BYU v. USU football game, a million mission reunions, conference traffic, and road construction, it took 5. Just an FYI-- If I'm dehydrated I get cranky, so to fight off bad moods, I drink a lot of water. Nicole + lots of water + 5 hour drive + not really any good stopping places = Major discomfort + possibly worse mood than said dehydration would have given.

Good news! We finally arrived at the mission reunion (a gathering of people who served missions together in a said area-- mostly reminiscing and checking out who gained the most weight or who is expecting and the like. A lot like a high school reunion... although, I've never been to one). The fun part is that I know Talon's old mission president and mission mom really well. I lived in the central hub for Tal's mission (if you haven't already heard the story of how we met, call me). I had the opportunity to grow to love those two. They are truly amazing people. I also knew many of the missionaries that Talon served with, so I don't feel so out of the loop at these things. It was wonderful to see those who were there, and we missed those who weren't.
125.38-170.45 miles: Next... we traveled the distance from Provo to Park City to spend the night with my folks. Our State Farm atlas and the actual roads don't seem to coincide, and so we went on a nice LONG, DARK tour through Heber, Utah. Too bad we couldn't see anything. After some phone calls with our good friend Curt and my dad, we made it to the resort around 11pm.

170.45-186.07 miles:Talon arose at 4:30 AM !!!! so he could enjoy the outdoors and fresh mountain air... oh, and hunting with Rusty and Curt. He missed most of conference that day, but, when he finally had service he sent me a text that read, "something followed me home off the mountain :)". We now have a fridge FULL of Bambi's brother. I'm still not sure how I feel about it.

Now how to cook it... Any ideas?
186.07-201.68 miles:
Between the afternoon session of conference and the priesthood session, we thought we'd just hop on some fun rides. :) The Alpine Coaster and Alpine Slide didn't fail to impress.

The 'men' went to the priesthood session to be chastised and told to treat their wives better, while the 'women' watched a chick flick and enjoyed each others' company.
201.68-246.23 miles:Then another exodus began to Centerville, Utah to spend the rest of the weekend with Talon's family. Talon was tired, I was tired, but less so, so as I yawned and tried to stay focused, I drove. It was only slightly scary and we made it VERY safely to Tal's folks'.
246.23-316.84 miles: Sunday we spent a great day with Tal's family and were sad to leave, but we still had an hour to drive back to Logan.
More weekend trips like that and we'll have to install a fridge and tv like my dad. :)
(yes, they do really sell them in this many varieties!)
... but as I said before, this is my favorite time of year!
For those who may not be familiar with conference weekend, it is a weekend every April and October where the Prophet, Apostles, and General Authorities and Auxiliary Leaders of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints speak to the members of the church for two days. It is held in Salt Lake City in the Conference Center and then broadcast out via television, radio, and satellite. For me, it is a spiritual feast for 2 days. An opportunity to check myself and see how I'm doing in my spiritual progression. It is ALWAYS an opportunity for me to be humbled and understand that there is still much for me to learn and do. And in October, we're surrounded by the BEAUTIFUL leaves and just cold enough weather.
This Conference weekend had MANY interesting adventures for Talon & I:

Mile 1- 125.38 miles: A 5 hour road trip to Provo. You may ask, what? I thought you lived in Logan? We do. How long is it supposed to take to drive to Provo from Logan? 2 hours. But, with combination of the BYU v. USU football game, a million mission reunions, conference traffic, and road construction, it took 5. Just an FYI-- If I'm dehydrated I get cranky, so to fight off bad moods, I drink a lot of water. Nicole + lots of water + 5 hour drive + not really any good stopping places = Major discomfort + possibly worse mood than said dehydration would have given.

Good news! We finally arrived at the mission reunion (a gathering of people who served missions together in a said area-- mostly reminiscing and checking out who gained the most weight or who is expecting and the like. A lot like a high school reunion... although, I've never been to one). The fun part is that I know Talon's old mission president and mission mom really well. I lived in the central hub for Tal's mission (if you haven't already heard the story of how we met, call me). I had the opportunity to grow to love those two. They are truly amazing people. I also knew many of the missionaries that Talon served with, so I don't feel so out of the loop at these things. It was wonderful to see those who were there, and we missed those who weren't.
125.38-170.45 miles: Next... we traveled the distance from Provo to Park City to spend the night with my folks. Our State Farm atlas and the actual roads don't seem to coincide, and so we went on a nice LONG, DARK tour through Heber, Utah. Too bad we couldn't see anything. After some phone calls with our good friend Curt and my dad, we made it to the resort around 11pm.

170.45-186.07 miles:Talon arose at 4:30 AM !!!! so he could enjoy the outdoors and fresh mountain air... oh, and hunting with Rusty and Curt. He missed most of conference that day, but, when he finally had service he sent me a text that read, "something followed me home off the mountain :)". We now have a fridge FULL of Bambi's brother. I'm still not sure how I feel about it.

Now how to cook it... Any ideas?
186.07-201.68 miles:
Between the afternoon session of conference and the priesthood session, we thought we'd just hop on some fun rides. :) The Alpine Coaster and Alpine Slide didn't fail to impress.

The 'men' went to the priesthood session to be chastised and told to treat their wives better, while the 'women' watched a chick flick and enjoyed each others' company.
201.68-246.23 miles:Then another exodus began to Centerville, Utah to spend the rest of the weekend with Talon's family. Talon was tired, I was tired, but less so, so as I yawned and tried to stay focused, I drove. It was only slightly scary and we made it VERY safely to Tal's folks'.
246.23-316.84 miles: Sunday we spent a great day with Tal's family and were sad to leave, but we still had an hour to drive back to Logan.
More weekend trips like that and we'll have to install a fridge and tv like my dad. :)
(yes, they do really sell them in this many varieties!)... but as I said before, this is my favorite time of year!
Comments