Too much?

Ok, so either there are 3 readers of my blog, you all don't care about politics, or my survey was too much...

Since I'm going to try to be optimistic, I'm hoping it was just too much---> Here's where we'll start:

Obama is going to be addressing public school kids throughout the country on Tuesday morning. He is going to be talking to them about the importance of graduating and doing their best. He also is hoping to get them excited about service.

Here was a recent promo shown to get people excited. Now, we're still not 100% sure that this was put together by the white house, but watch and see what you think.

My personal thoughts: I think that Obama addresses school kids is a great idea! I think that it is important for us ALL to get involved in making a better America. I don't feel that I'm being pushed to make any super liberal changes in my beliefs or standards based on this promo.

So, on this one issue, what are your thoughts? Should Obama be allowed to speak to the public school kids? What about this promotional video? Is it ok? Too leftist?
Go here to read the actual speech

Please... let me know you're out there!

Comments

Chelsea said…
I liked the video for the most part. The end was kinda creepy when everyone started talking together. I just hope that all those pledges were for real, and that they follow through with their pledges. It's good to get people to do service and to make goals.

There...I commented! :)
Unknown said…
First, that video is an Oprah production. Harpo is Oprah spelled backwards.
Second, people forget that Bush (the first one) and Regan both spoke to the school children when they were in office. And they didn't get parental permission first.
Why not have our kids hear from the President of the United States to stay in school and set goals for yourself? Every child dreams about becoming the President one day, why not start a dialog with him?
What scares me the most is the fact that people are so black and white about him. And I'm not talking color. We all have faults, but just because he believes in one thing, doesn't make him a bad man. He is trying to do the best to get us out of this mess we have created for ourselves, the best way he knows how. Or how he believes to do it. If you think you know better, than run for president in 2012.
Sorry, went of topic. I think talking to kids about staying in school from the President is great. Maybe some of them will listen to him and do better in school this year because he is not a white man telling them to do so. Just maybe, but who knows.
Bridget said…
I definitely think it is a great idea to have the President of the U.S. speak to school children about staying in school and preparing themselves for the future. No matter what my political beliefs are, the ideas he'll be speaking on are values that I think all parents are trying to instill in their kids (staying in school, hard work, believing in yourself...). It makes me sad that everyone is so worried that he'll use it as an opportunity to brainwash children. Hopefully future presidents will follow suit because I think it is a great idea!
Shirlene said…
As you know, I read your blog. I do not, however, read blogs so I have to come up with pithy and/or witty and/or even brilliant comments. I am not in a graduate program. I am not in school. I am still your mother and I read your blog because I love you. My response to your query? No comment:)
Megh said…
I'm so glad that President Obama is speaking to school kids tomorrow. I wonder how something like that might have positively influenced me as a child. I also like the video. I heard a story from a Utah news website that one elementary school principle chose to show the pledge video to her school. One mom was outraged and was seeking legal action. Now, maybe that principle should have gotten parental permission (although I'm not sure why). And I'm not trying to get anyone fired up, but I wondered if that mom would have been upset if it were a video supporting a president who was NOT Barack Obama? What if it had been John McCain, or even Mitt Romney? I'm willing to bet it would have been different. It got me thinking. Anyhow, I think the pledge video is asking people to rekindle that sense of patriotism that we had in earlier years, and I believe in supporting the president, no matter who it is, and even if you don't support all of his (her) ideas. Thanks for the thought provoking questions! Keep asking!
Shaela said…
I think it is great to have the president speak to the school age children.
As for the video... I'm with Chelsea. I like it for the most part. It is uplifting and positive and speaks to people willing to make changes in positive ways... but I'm not crazy about the "serve Obama" phrase. I think it should be more like... "serve the people"...

I really liked your previous post too. Unfortunately, as much as I would like to have an opinion on all those things, I have to admit it is hard to find a place to learn about the pros and cons of both sides of issues without hearing extreme left or right wing opinions. If you find a place, let me know!
I promise I do read your blog, I just really don't like getting into politics. :) I agree with Chelsea and Shaela on the video. Mostly good, but then kind of weird at the end. I think that Obama speaking to the children about things like staying in school and setting goals is a good idea. If he were trying to push one of his agendas to the children, though, such as the health reform, then that would be wrong. Since that's not his goal, though, I think it's great that he cares enough about them to talk to them. Most kids think the president is pretty important, so some might be more willing to listen to him than just about anyone else.
Jenni said…
I agree with Chelsea the first part of the video is okay. I think people should spend more time helping and serving others. But I will not pledge anything to Obama. I will pledge to honor and protect my country and freedoms and liberties that so many people take for granted. First and foremost, I will pledge to serve my God, and try my best to follow the the example of my Savior. I don't like Obama and I don't trust him. He has been in office for almost a year and we still don't really know anything about him. What I do know Is I don't care for most of his advisers and the more I find out about them, the less I like them and the less I trust Obama.

Popular posts from this blog

She's here!

Delivery Day