A church's history




I have often had some neat opportunities to visit the sites of the beginnings of the LDS (Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints) Church. As a small child I visited Liberty jail where the prophet Joseph was kept during his ministry. Then, as a youth I was able to visit Nauvoo, Martin's Cove, and many of the sites in Utah. However, I had never had the opportunity to visit upstate New York where the church began early on.

My parents and youngest brother and sister had the opportunity to travel to Palmyra and be a part of the Hill Cumorah Pageant that depicts the stories of the Book of Mormon and the translation of it as scripture. It was the perfect opportunity to finally go, so Chelsea, Brigham, Talon & I got on Hotwire and made the arrangements!

Here is a picture overload warning: read on at your own risk!

Thursday: We traveled to the airport and played some hacky-sack (not sure how to spell it) as we waited for our flight. We arrived Thursday night around midnight and were lucky enough to stay in the Rochester Residence Inn Marriott thanks to my mom.


Friday: We went to the grocery store, and then began our journey to Niagra Falls... it poured and we enjoyed every minute of the beauty nature has to offer. After our long journey, and drying our clothes, we made our way to Palmyra where we watched the pageant. It was WONDERFUL... and the family was fabulous!







Saturday: Visited the Palmyra Temple and were lucky enough to do a session in that historic place overlooking the sacred grove. Then, we made our way to the Smith farm and the sacred grove where so many wonderful things had happened. What a blessing it was for us. And then, spent some time with the family, climbed to the top of the hill, ate some bbq chicken, and then watched the historic pageant again.


Sunday: Attended a Rochester ward, ran into one of Brigham's old mission companion, took Talon to the airport so he'd be back in time for his 2 tests. Then off to the rest of the sites. The Book of Mormon printing shop, the Martin Harris farm, and Alvin Smith's gravesite. We also got to spend an hour or so with our family before they took off for home. Then, we made dinner in our sweet suite and played games with our friends Cam and Kirsten Grant.


Monday: We had the time to drive out to the Whitmer farm where the church was organized. Then to the airport ourselves where we began our long journey home.




It was an amazing trip, full of the spirit and some wonderful memories. If you want more pictures of our fun adventure, check out my sisters' blog http://thecoolestmoorefamily.blogspot.com/

Comments

Susan said…
How fun! Someday I would like to get out there to see all those sites. Looks like a great trip!
Belinda Olsen said…
Looks like you guys had a great time!!! Now that I an recovered from surgery when are you going to have time for us to play?
DeeAura said…
I still love that you go to go! And I miss you like crazy! Pretty please, next time I see you, let's lay on the grass, drink gatorade, and talk for hours. M'kay?
Mindy said…
I.love. the new photo and description at the top. It makes me completly happy. The end. :)
Dana said…
I guess you all getting to see the pageant twice makes up for us only seeing half the show.

Miss you all!

Popular posts from this blog

She's here!

Delivery Day