Keep Fighting


One of my favorite books of ALL time is To Kill a Mockingbird. It is so beautifully written and was published in such a hard time about a different hard time with similar problems. Harper Lee published To Kill a Mockingbird in 1960 during the Civil Rights Movement, but set her novel in the 1930s, the time of the Great Depression. Her book deal with prejudice in every dimension and I think that it deserves to sit among America's greatest novels because its message transcends time barriers.

As I was reading the other day (I'm re-reading it for the 5th time as I teach it), I came across one of those precious "Jems" within the text. Atticus is discussing the upcoming trial of Tom Robinson, a black man, with his daughter, the narrator, Scout. She asks if he is going to win the trial and Atticus replies, "No". Scout then asks, "Then why..." and Atticus gives one of the most profound answers, "Simply because we were licked a hundred years before we started is no reason not for us to try to win."


I think if more people felt this way there'd be more happiness and a greater potential for reaching one's goals. It gave me the perspective to keep fighting those things which hold me back. So, I'll keep fighting.

Comments

Avree said…
Also one of my favorite books of all time! Thanks for the insight!
Unknown said…
I LOVE this book! That is also one of my favorite lines. We watched the movie in my junior high social studies class, and when Gregory Peck said that, I got the chills. I get them now just thinking about it. :)
DeeAura said…
I love this. Also, I now have to go read this book again. It's been too long.

Popular posts from this blog

She's here!

Delivery Day